Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Bell's Palsy - Month 9

I'm officially nine months into my Bell's recovery.  I've never been so commited to something in my life.  I mean this whole Bell's thing has outlasted many of my relationships.  Ha, horrible joke...I know.  An inability to make light of this situation would make things much worse.  Trust me.   I find myself poking fun of my condition at times; although not nearly as much as I once did.  No, not in a self deprecating kind of way.  It seems to put others at ease.    

I have learned many important lessons along the way.  One of the most significant being appreciating the little things.  Our area was recently without electricity for several days.  We were one of the few that retained our power.  A blessing in itself as I could not imagine being without having a 7 month old baby.  Finally, my luck is moving in a better direction.  Whew!  Anyhow...many of those affected by the outage were making mention of the fact that you don't really appreciate the small things such as electricity, hot water, the ability to cook a warm meal and readily accessible entertainment until it has been taken away.

I can certainly appreciate their noting of this; however, I challenge them to further consider the smaller things.  You know the things you really don't think about, the subconcious things, such as blinking your eyes, squinting, salivation, lacrimation and breathing.  Yep...

Not that I didn't care for everyone dealing with the issue, but my heart truly went out to the elderly, those with small children and those with absolutely no means to seek warmer shelter.  I'm glad that power is now on for everyone.

I know...I've gone off on a completely random topic.  Is it really so random?  We are talking about power afterall.  We may not always have control of external powers like I mentioned above, but we do have the power to try to see the bright side in even the darkest of situations.  I didn't always exercise this power while dealing with Bell's...in fact, I still have times that I don't.  When I do though it seems my recovery is much greater.  Perhaps it's a figment of my imagination.  It sure does make me feel better about things.  Conclusion:  power is pretty darn awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment